Casa Do Jose, Karlsruhe

I've had this restaurant on my wish list for quite literally five years now; and last week, I finally had the opportunity to dine at Casa Do Jose, a Portuguese Restaurant in Karlsruhe that totally lived up to all the hype!

Elegant, cosy and comfortable interior
Waiting to feast!
I don't have much experience with Portuguese food, so I had to turn to my dear friend and fellow blogger Annabelle, from The Piri-Piri Lexicon, for some advice and food recommendations. This is one of her favourite dining spots in Karlsruhe, and with a Portuguese husband, I couldn't ask for advice from a more suitable couple!

A very delicious glass of Alvarinho 
I started my evening with a glass of Alvarinho from their very extensive and well thought out wine menu. I was immediately impressed with our waiter's knowledge of their food and wine and he was able to confidently recommend several selections that went extremely well with the food I was about to enjoy. (The menu, as a side note, is available in four languages - Portuguese, German, English and French!)

Bread, olive oil and a creamy tuna spread
We were presented with a complimentary platter of bread, olive oil and a rich and creamy tuna spread to start with. The olive oil was so fragrant and the tuna spread so delicious that we ate every single slice despite my initial reluctance to stuff myself with bread before our appetisers arrived!

A trio of deliciousness!
For our appetisers, we had the traditional and extremely popular Pasteis de bacalhau, (salt cod fritters), which looked a little unassuming but was packed full of lovely flavour in every bite. We also had some Chamucas de verdura (Portuguese vegetarian samosas), which were crunchy and flavourful, and the Rissois de camarao (shrimp turnovers) - creamy and rich on the inside and crispy on the outside - was my personal favourite of the trio!

A close up of the  Rissois de camarao
Bitoque
For his main course, The Husband ordered the traditional Bitoque, which is a dish consisting of a rump steak accompanied with a fried egg and homemade chips. The steak was tender and juicy, the chips fried to crispy perfection, and the egg had a perfectly runny yolk that oozed out beautifully over the meat. 

Cataplana
As for me with my love for seafood, I absolutely had to try the recommended Cataplana de peixe e marisco, a mixed fish and seafood stew cooked in the 'Cataplana' with plenty of potatoes and peppers. This dish was an absolutely dream, filled with all my favourite ingredients in a rich and flavourful seafood broth. I truly enjoyed every mouthful!

Close up of my stew
Our dinner was absolutely satisfying and there was nothing we could fault, from the lovely calming atmosphere to the excellent service and the delicious food and wine. This is definitely going to the top of my list of favourite restaurants in town and I can't wait to go back and try some other dishes! 

Kriegsstraße 92
76133 Karlsruhe
+49 721 9143 8018

Comments

Popular Posts